Red Beet Fritters
Red beets are preferable to use for this dessert dish if you want to give your fritters a pretty pink color. But this recipe can be used for golden beets as well as other root vegetables.
Fry the beet fritters in unsalted butter. It can be heated to a much higher temperature without burning, and its flavor will not interfere with the taste of the dish.
You can use leftover cooked beets for this easy recipe, and serve it for brunch or as a light lunch. Adding a little brandy gives a touch of class to this simple beet dish, but it is, of course, optional. Be careful adding sugar - the beets are naturally sweet.
Beet Fritters recipe
What you’ll need:
- One large beetroot
- Yolks of four eggs
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 3 tablespoon of cream
- Sugar to taste
- Grated nutmeg
- Grated peel of half a lemon
- One glass of brandy
What to do:
- Boil a large beet until it is tender. When cool enough to handle, chop or grate finely in a food processor or by hand.
- Add the yolks of four beaten eggs, flour, and cream. Sweeten to taste, grate in some nutmeg and the peel of half a lemon. Add a glass of brandy. Mix all well together, and fry the fritters in butter on preheated skillet over medium heat.
- Serve hot garnished with candied fruits, apricot preserves, or green sprigs of myrtle or rosemary leaves.
More beet recipes? Try these recommendations:
Return from Red Beet Fritters page to Beets for Vegetarians
Back to Healthy Beets Home
Enjoy this page? Link to Healthy Beets. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.