Spiced beets cooked with ginger are a zestier version of the old-time favorite, Harvard beets. It combines the fine flavor of beets with the delicacy of ginger that could be sweet and hot at the same time.
The first recipe uses dried ground ginger, the second – a fresh ginger root. You can substitute fresh ginger for ground at the ratio 3 teaspoons fresh to ½ teaspoon ground, although the taste and flavor are not exactly the same.
Gingered Harvard Beets
What you’ll need:
3 medium fresh beets
¼ cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ to ½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ cup apple cider
¼ cup distilled white vinegar
½ cup raisins, or dried cranberry
Fresh oregano sprigs for garnish
What to do:
- In a large pot, bring water to boil and cook beets until you can easily pierce them with a knife to their centers, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove beets with a slotted spoon, plunge them in cold water, and set aside to cool. Reserve ½ cup cooking water. Peel and cut beets into ½-inch slices.
- In a medium saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, ginger and ½ teaspoon salt (if desired). Mix in the beet liquid. Add cider and vinegar. Set pan over medium-high heat and cook, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until mixture thickens and almost boils, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add beets and raisins, and stir until beets are heated through. Do not let the mixture boil, about 2 minutes. Garnish with fresh oregano sprigs and serve warm.
Per serving: 154 cal
Baked Spiced Beets with Fresh Ginger
What to do:
7 to 8 medium beets (1 ½ pounds)
1 ½ tablespoons butter, melted
¾ teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
1 ½ tablespoons honey
Salt to taste (if desired)
- Scrub the beets and cover with water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer gently 30 to 40 minutes until just tender. Slip skins off beets, slice and place in a baking dish. Peel the ginger root before you grate it.
- Whisk together melted butter or margarine, honey and ginger. Season with salt. Pour over beets.
- Cover and bake at 350F degrees about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve warm.
Per serving: 114 cal
More healthy beet recipes? Try these recommendations:
Top of page
Return from Spiced Beets page to Beets for Vegetarians
Return from Spiced Beets to Healthy Beets Home