To make these latkes that are no more difficult than the popular potato pancakes, you can use up any fall root vegetables
that could be sitting lonely in your vegetable drawer.
Combining vegetables in this latke recipe brings together various flavors and colors of fall bounty. Use a food processor to shred all the root vegetables along with potatoes – it will make the task a snap to complete. Serve latkes with sour cream and homemade or bought applesauce.
4 servings | Preparation time total: 30 min
What you need:
- 1 pound assorted root vegetables: golden or red beets, carrots, parsnips, or turnips
- ½ pound, or 1 large white potato
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 to 6 tablespoons vegetable oil for frying
- Sour cream, and/or Applesauce
What to do:
- Peel and coarsely shred the root vegetables, potatoes and onion in a food processor fitted with shredding disk (or grate by hand if you don’t have a food processor). You should have about 3-4 cups combined, packed. Transfer the vegetables into a mixing bowl. Add the egg, flour, salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Drop mounds of the vegetable mixture (from 1 heaping to 2 tablespoons) into the skillet taking care not to overcrowd. Flatten with a fork or metal spatula to 3-4 inch rounds to ensure even cooking. Cook until the bottoms are golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip, and cook for another 4-5 minutes to brown the other side. Add more vegetable oil as needed until all the mixture has been cooked.
- Transfer the latkes to a paper towel to drain excess oil, and then keep them warm in a shallow baking pan in a pre-heated oven (250°F).
You can make these ahead, refrigerate, and re-heat later in the oven. Serve them warm with sour cream of your choice, or a spicy applesauce.
Spiced Apple Topping
To make this delicious apple topping, heat 1 tablespoon of butter or vegetable oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 3 peeled, cored and cubed apples and brown (combine red and green apples for a festive look).
Add ½ teaspoon each ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg and 2 teaspoons granulated sugar. Add one tablespoon of bought applesauce if desired, and a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat and cook for another 4 or 5 minutes stirring gently once or twice. Serve.
More beet recipes? Try these recommendations:
Red Beet Fritters | Golden Beet Salad
Pickled Beet Chutney
Top of page
Return from Beet Latkes to Vegetarian Recipes
Back to Healthy Beets Home
Enjoy this page? Link to Healthy Beets. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.