This simple beet raita recipe is easy to make and serve as a condiment or a side dish. Refreshing and sweet, it goes well with grilled foods and all kind of curries
. It also makes an eye-catching centerpiece on a dinner table because of its beautiful mauve color. Spoon it right on the dish or eat as a chaser.
Quick and Easy Beet Raita
Use leftover cooked beets for this quick and refreshing dish. The recipe can be safely doubled.
Preparation time: 10 min | Makes 1 cup
¼ cup cooked beets, cubed
1 green chili pepper, finely chopped
1 scant cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt to taste
Cut the cooked peeled beets into small cubes. Beat yogurt slightly. Combine with the rest of the ingredients.Chill and serve.
Beet and Potato Raita
Bake the beets in the conventional or microwave oven (for instructions on
how to bake beets in the microwave click here).
Preparation time: 10 min plus time to cook beets | Makes 3 cups
What you need:
- 2 medium beets
- 1 medium waxy potato, such as Yukon Gold
- 1 Vidalia onion or 2 scallions, including greens, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 ½ cups plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
What to do:
- To bake in the conventional oven, preheat it to 425°F, and wrap the beets in foil individually. Bake until tender, about 50 minutes depending on their size. Unwrap when cool enough to handle and sleep off the peel. Cut in small cubes or chop coarsely.
- While the beets are baking, boil unpeeled potatoes until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and peel. Cut the potatoes in small cubes.
- In a glass or ceramic mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, onion or scallions, garlic, dill, cilantro, lemon juice, chopped beets and potato. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until chilled through for about an hour. Serve cold.
More beet recipes? Try these recommendations:
Quick Grated Sautéed Beets
Easy Roasted Beets Salad
Beet and Potato Salad
Top of page
Return from Beet Raita Recipe to Vegetarian Recipes page
Back to Healthy Beets Home
Enjoy this page? Link to Healthy Beets. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.