This make-ahead pickled beet salad is a colorful and piquant accompaniment for a winter roast or summer burger.
It is easy to make with freshly cooked or canned beets. All you need to do is pickle the beets with the quick recipe below, refrigerate them overnight, and serve on watercress or your favorite greens.
Pickled beet and watercress salad recipe
4 to 6 servings
- 2 ½ cups cooked or canned beets (Two 15-ounce cans sliced beets)
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup reserved beet juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- Cook and slice the beets, or drain the canned beets, reserving the liquid.
- Place the beets in a heatproof glass jar or serving bowl. Combine vinegar and beet liquid with other ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat, cover, and let stand for 30 minutes. Bring the marinade back to a boil, and pour over the beets. Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- Serve on watercress, tough stems trimmed.
More beet recipes? Try these recommendations:
Return from Pickled Beet Salad to Pickled Beets recipes
Back to Healthy Beets Home