I like to serve this escarole salad warm, as a light vegetarian meal. One of the favorite fall and winter varieties of lettuce, escarole is now available all year round. Its slightly bitter taste goes well with the sweet earthiness of beets.
This salad recipe sounds elaborate, but it is surprisingly easy to make. Use any of the basic methods to cook beets. To turn it into a quick, light meal, add any cheese or a poached egg.
Escarole Salad Recipe
Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus additional time to cook beets
4 to 6 servings
- 2 medium beets, cooked
- 1 head escarole (broad-leaved endive)
- 2 shallots finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh herbs, mint, thyme, or marjoram
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (or 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (or 2 ounces Asiago, grated)
What to do:
- Peel the beets. Cut them into wedges and set aside. Rinse off the escarole and discard any wilted or discolored leaves. Cut into one- or two-inch sections. Put the escarole in a metal bowl with the shallots, garlic, and herbs on top.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan until it is on the edge of smoking. Holding tongs in one hand, pour the hot oil over the escarole with your other hand, while stirring escarole with the tongs. If you want the escarole more cooked than that, pick up clumps of it with the tongs and press them into the hot pan. Or, toss all the escarole into the sauté pan and cook it briefly.
- Return the escarole to a salad bowl and toss with the beets, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix some cheese in the salad, and put the rest of it over the top.
- You can also divide the escarole between serving plates and top with the beet and herbs mixture adding cheese on the top of salad. Serve warm.
More beet recipes? Try these recommendations:
Raw Beet Salad
Gourmet Beet Soup
Vegetarian Recipes with Beets
Top of page
Return from Escarole Salad Recipe to All Beet Salads page
Back to Healthy Beets Home