Endive and Beet Appetizer
Simple and delicious endive salad combining an excellent, crunchy texture and a delicate, bittersweet taste of Belgian endive with lemony cream fraîche and sweet earthy beets.
Endive and Beet with Lemon Cream
Preparation: 20 min
What you need:
For the salad::
4 large or small heads Belgian endive, cored
1 cooked beetroot
2 boiled eggs
About 1/3 of a pound (150 g) of Comté, or Gruyère cheese
For the sauce:
½ cup cream fraîche
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped chives
Salt and pepper to taste
What to do:
- Wash the endive in cold water, pat dry, cut off the base, and remove the outer thicker leaves that often are too bitter. Quarter the endives lengthwise and slice crosswise into ½-inch slices.
- Cook and peel the beets, then cut them into a small dice. Shell the eggs, and cut them into slices. Cut the cheese into small cubes. Transfer the vegetables and cheese into a mixing bowl and set aside the slices of egg for decoration.
- Prepare the sauce by mixing cream fraîche with lemon juice and a sprinkling of chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce into the bowl with other ingredient, and combine gently but thoroughly to coat the vegetables.
- On an oval serving platter, arrange the salad in the center, surround it with slices of egg, and then sprinkle the remainder of chives for garnish. Serve chilled.
More beet recipes? Try these recommendations:
Pickled Beet and Egg
Beet and Escarole Salad
Beet Salad Recipes
Top of page
Return from Endive Salad to
Healthy Beets Home
Enjoy this page? Link to Healthy Beets. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.