Cold Beet Soup
This is a basic recipe for saltibarsciai, cold beet soup, or borscht, that is traditional for Lithuanian cuisine. Proportions, and the ingredients, can vary depending on the cook, or a cookbook.
Preparation time: 15 min
- 2 cooked beets, roughly grated
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 4 cups of buttermilk
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of finely chopped shallots, or scallions
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- 8 sprigs of fresh dill
4 to 6 servings
- Finely chop the hard-boiled egg yolks and mix with the shallots and a pinch of salt.
- Slice or grate the cucumber very finely and mix it with the sour cream, the buttermilk, the beets and the water. Add this to egg mixture and stir well. Garnish with finely chopped dill.
- Serve the cold soup with boiled potatoes and melted butter on the side.
Try these variations: