with Chickpeas and Couscous
This basic recipe is easy to vary from one week to another: replace beet leaves with spinach or Swiss chard, use almonds instead of pine nuts, or currants as a substitute for raisins.
Preparation time: 20 min
What you’ll need:
- 2 bunches beet greens, washed, stems trimmed
- 1 box (10-ounce) couscous
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 can chickpeas (15.5-ounce), rinsed
- ½ cup dark or golden raisins
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
What to do:
- Place the couscous in a bowl. Add 1 ½ cups boiling water and stir. Cover tightly and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in a large skillet over low heat, shaking the pan frequently, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Return skillet to medium heat, add the oil, and heat for 1 minute. Add the chickpeas, raisins, beet greens, salt, and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally, until the leaves are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork and divide among individual plates. Top with the leaves and sprinkle with the pine nuts.
More beet recipes? Try these recommendations:
Golden Beets Salad
Beet and Escarole Salad
Raw Beet Salads
Return from Beet Leaves Salad to Healthy Beets Home
Enjoy this page? Link to Healthy Beets. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.