Refreshing Beet Borscht with Mushrooms and Apples
This easy low fat recipe has a refreshing cooking idea – apples and lemon zest in beet borscht.
Preparation time: 40 min
What you’ll need:
- 4 ½ cups of water
- 5-6 dried mushrooms
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 beets, peeled and julienned
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 cup of chopped green cabbage
- 1 tablespoon of parsley
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 apple, green
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- ½ lemon
- 2 teaspoon of dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sour cream for garnish
What to do:
- Add water and mushrooms to saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Add the finely chopped onion and julienned beets. Reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes. Add carrots thinly sliced and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms from soup, chop finely and return to the saucepan. Add salt to taste, potato cut into cubes, finely chopped cabbage and cook for another 10 minutes. Add parsley, black pepper, bay leaves, then the apple cut into small cubes, and simmer for another 3 - 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and add chopped garlic, lemon zest and juice of half a lemon. Let the borscht stand for a few minutes. Serve with sour cream and rye bread.
More beet recipes? Try these recommendations:
Beet Borscht Recipes and Tips
Tangy Beet Relish
How to Juice Beets
Return to Healthy Beets Home
Enjoy this page? Link to Healthy Beets. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.