...with Style and Substance
Including such food as a wheatgrass when juicing beets, or adding tahini paste to your beet juice, might be somewhat of a new thing for you. Start slowly introducing wheatgrass no more than 1 ounce a day. Stir tahini paste well before adding to the recipe.
Minted Beets and Wheatgrass Juice
Preparation time: 10 min
- 2 large or 4 small beets
- 2 oranges
- 2 oz. wheatgrass
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves
- 2 mint sprigs for garnish (optional)
- Scrub beets well, and if using the tops, rinse them well, too. Cut into 2-inch cubes. Peel oranges and cut into quarters.
- Process beets, oranges and mint leaves in the juicer.
- Extract juice from wheatgrass in a wheatgrass juicer, and set aside. Alternatively, pureé wheatgrass with ½ cup water in a blender.
- Pour beet juice into two glasses, and divide wheatgrass juice evenly between them. Stir well and garnish with mint sprigs if desired. Serve immediately
Gingered Sesame Beets and Carrots with Yams
Preparation time: less than 10 min
- 2 beets
- 2 carrots
- 1 yam
- 1 apple
- 2 scallions
- 3 tablespoons sliced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- 2 apple wedges for garnish, if desired
- Scrub beets well. Discard leaves if wilted, or rinse well if not. Scrub carrots, discarding green tops. Scrub yam. Cut the ingredients into 2-inch cubes.
- Rinse apple and cut into sixths. Rinse scallions and cut into 2-inch lengths.
- Push beets, carrots, yam, apple, scallions, and ginger through the juicer to process. Pour juice into blender, add tahini paste and blend for 30 seconds.
- Pour juice into two glasses and serve immediately garnished with apple wedges.
If making this beverage in a blender, core apples and cut all ingredients in smaller, about 1-inch pieces. Add tahini paste along with other ingredients.
Tahini paste is prepared from ground sesame seeds and the oils tend to separate in the container. Stir it well before measuring and adding to the recipe.
Click here for more about juicing beets
Top of page
Back to Healthy Beets Home
Enjoy this page? Link to Healthy Beets. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.