Beet and Fresh Onion Salad
Beet, arugula and onions are a traditional combination and especially good in spring and summer salads when the new beets are sweet and the onions are fresh in season.
You can find fresh beets and onions in farmers markets at this time of year. Beets with their bright green leaves attached, and fresh onions - you can recognize these by their thin, light-colored skin and, sometimes, part of their long green tops still intact.
Young beets are sweeter and fresh onions are milder and juicier than storage kind. With their delicate taste fresh onions are an ideal choice for salads and a perfect complement to the peppery arugula and the earthy flavor of beets.
Beets and onion salad recipe
Serves 4 | Preparation time: 10 min plus time to cook beets
- 4 or 5 red beets (about 1 ¼ pounds)
- 2 small fresh red or yellow onions
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, quartered (optional)
- 1 ½ tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Trim beets leaving an inch of the stems and tails, and rinse off any loose soil. Put beets in a pan with ¼ inch water and cover with foil. Bake about 35 minutes, or until beets are tender when pierced with a knife. Let cool, then slip off skins and slice into ¼ -inch rounds or quarters.
Alternatively, steam the beets, boil in water, or cook in the microwave.
- Slice onions into thin rounds. Wash and dry greens.
- Combine vinegars with mustard and salt. Whisk in oils. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- In a large bowl, gently toss sliced beets and onions together with all but a tablespoon of vinaigrette.Dress greens with remaining vinaigrette in a separate bowl.
- Place beets and onions on a serving dish and surround with greens. Garnish with chopped parsley and eggs and finish with a grinding of pepper.
For a more assertive flavor of your onion salad, substitute arugula with watercress; or mache and spinach if you want a milder flavor but similar texture.
Add beet greens to the mixture if the leaves are small and not wilted.
More beet recipes? Try these recommendations:
Blood Oranges and Beets with Arugula and Goat Cheese
Beet Greens with Garlic and Lemon
Beet Salad with French Dressing Recipes
Rerurn from Beet Onion Salad recipe to Beet Salads page
Back to Healthy Beets Home
Enjoy this page? Link to Healthy Beets. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.