with Creamy Egg Sauce
This vegetarian beetroot salad made from sweet earthy beets, garnished with peppery watercress and mild egg sauce, is sure to please your taste buds. The sauce should be cool when you add it to the salad. Prepare it while the beets are cooking.
Creamy Beet Salad
2 to 4 servings
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 1 hour
Ingredients for the salad:
- 2 medium-sized cooked beets
- Hard-boiled yolk of one egg
- One tablespoon chopped watercress
- Pepper and salt to taste
Ingredients for the sauce:
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pepper
- Peel and slice cooked beets about a quarter of an inch thick, and pile the slices in a glass dish or bowl. Sprinkle with watercress and egg yolk rubbed through a wire sieve, and pour the sauce around the base.
- To make the sauce, drop egg yolks into a small non-reactive (enameled) saucepan, add salt and pepper, and stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Bring the milk to a boiling point and pour into the saucepan with eggs. Stir briskly over a low heat for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Do not allow the sauce to boil, or it will curdle. When the sauce becomes thick, remove from heat, stir in the vinegar, and leave to cool the side of the stove. It is ready to use.
Recipe from New Vegetarian Dishes
Look for more vegetarian recipes here
Beetroot salad recipes
Return to Healthy Beet Home
Enjoy this page? Link to Healthy Beets. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.