Potato Salad with Beets Recipes
Beet and potato salads on this page are dressed with oil and vinegars. The presence of vinegar in a dressing, like that of onions and its relatives, on most occasions should be very light, only “suspected”.
Often four spoonfuls of oil are used to one of vinegar. Four spoonfuls of oil to two, three or four of vinegar may be the proportion preferred by some, and the quantity may vary for different salads and depending on individual taste.
Potato Salad with Beets and Spring Onions
- 1 lb. of cold boiled potatoes
- 1 small beetroot, cooked
- some spring onions
- 6-12 olives
- 4 tablespoonfuls of vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of salad oil
- a little tarragon vinegar
- salt, pepper, minced parsley
- Cut the potatoes in small pieces and put these into a salad bowl.
- Cut up the onions and olives, and add them to the potatoes.
- Mix the vinegar, oil, tarragon vinegar, salt, and pepper well together, pour it into the salad bowl, and stir it well.
- Garnish with beetroot and parsley.
A few drops of aromatic vinegars, like tarragon vinegar in this recipe, lend piquancy and variety to an every-day salad. Aromatic vinegars can be purchased at gourmet food stores, or made at home.
Winter Potato Salad with Beet and Watercress
- 1 pound of cold boiled potatoes
- 1 onion
- Watercress, or mustard and cress
- 1 boiled beetroot
- 4 tablespoons of oil
- 2 tablespoons of vinegar
- 2-4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 apple, if desired
- Cut cold boiled potatoes into cubes, grate the onion finely and mix with potatoes.
- Add watercress, or mustard and cress, and boiled and sliced beetroot.
- Flavor with pepper, salt, oil, and vinegar to taste.
- Hard-boiled eggs may be cut into slices and added.
Sliced apples or pieces of orange may be mixed with the other ingredients. Leave out the onions if adding oranges.
Potato “Snow” (pretty potato dish with beet and hard-boiled eggs)
Not, strictly, a salad recipe, but I decided to include it on this page. This pretty dish tastes deliciously, and looks festive on a dinner table.
What you’ll need:
- 1-1/2 lbs. of potatoes
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 small beetroot
What to do:
Boil the potatoes until tender, pass them through a potato masher into a hot dish, letting the mashed potato fall lightly, and piling it up high.
Slice the eggs and beetroot, and arrange alternate slices of egg and beetroot around the base of the potato snow.
Brown the top with a blowtorch or, as suggested in the old recipes, with a red-hot coal-shovel. If such are not handy, then a very hot preheated grill is usually adequate to do the job.
Return from Potato Salads to All Salads Page
Back to Healthy Beets Home