This is a very easy and tasty sauerkraut recipe with the addition of raw beets
and carrots. It has been one the favorite homemade fermented foods in my family for years.
Use late firm varieties of cabbage for this recipe. Adding brine with salt and sugar accelerates fermentation, and this crimson-colored, deliciously crunchy cabbage mix will be ready in just a few days.
Serve as an appetizer or a side dish with duck, goose, pork, and especially, sausages.
2-3 large heads (3 kilograms) of cabbage
2-3 medium sized carrots (200 grams)
2 medium beets
½ of the medium celery root, coarsely grated
4-5 garlic cloves, crushed
Small piece of horseradish, grated
2 liters water, boiled and cooled
2 full tablespoons sea salt
3 tablespoons sugar
- Chop the cabbage into cubes or large chunks. Wash and peel the vegetables. Cut the carrots in round slices, not too thin, and julienne the beets. Grate celery on a coarse grater.
- Pack the ingredients in layers into a fermenting crock, glass jar, or enamel container adding chopped garlic and grated horseradish.
- Prepare the brine stirring salt and sugar in water until dissolved, and pour into the crock. Cover with a clean plate that just fit the container, and put a weight on top of the cover. Make sure the brine covers the cabbage completely.
- Store at room temperature for 2-3 days until the formation of the first gas bubbles that indicates the start of fermentation process. Remove the weight, and place the container in refrigerator for another 2 days. Cabbage mix will be ready for tasting.
- Keep fully fermented cabbage mix in the refrigerator tightly covered. It is worth noting that this recipe is for quick sauerkraut preparation, and will not last through the winter. It’s usually made in 3-liter container and eaten within a week or two.
Click here for a Fermented Sour Beets recipe
More beet recipes? Try these recommendations:
Raw Beet Salad
Homemade Beet Relish
Sweet and Sour Pickled Beet Salad
Top of page
Return from Sauerkraut Recipe to Cooking Beets page
Back to Healthy Beets Home