Red Beet Salad with Vidalia Onion and Orange Zest
Crisp and cool, sweet and zesty, this lively red beet salad is a great source of vitamin C and surprisingly easy to make. You can cook the beets up to 1 week in advance and refrigerate still wrapped in foil. Prepared salad will keep in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Total time 1 hour 10 min | Time to prepare 10 min
What you need:
What to do:
- ½ pound, or 2-3 medium size beets, scrubbed
- 1 orange
- 1 Vidalia onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 scallion, white part only, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat or nonfat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- With a paring knife, carve an X at both the root and the stem ends of each beet. Then wrap each beet in a single layer of aluminum foil. Bake until tender about 1 hour. Unwrap the foil and let the beets cool. Or, bake the beets in the microwave (click the link for instructions).
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel away the skin and chop them as finely, or as coarsely as you like. Grate a tablespoon of zest from the orange and squeeze out the juice.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the onion, scallion, orange juice and zest, sour cream, mint, chives, and lemon juice. Add the beets and toss well to coat with the dressing. Serve at room temperature, or refrigerate and serve chilled.
Calories per serving - 71.
More beet recipes? Try these recommendations:
Return to Healthy Beets Home