with Chickpeas and Couscous
This basic recipe is easy to vary from one week to another: replace beet leaves with spinach or Swiss chard, use almonds instead of pine nuts, or currants as a substitute for raisins.
Preparation time: 20 min
What you’ll need:
- 2 bunches beet greens, washed, stems trimmed
- 1 box (10-ounce) couscous
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 can chickpeas (15.5-ounce), rinsed
- ½ cup dark or golden raisins
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
What to do:
- Place the couscous in a bowl. Add 1 ½ cups boiling water and stir. Cover tightly and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in a large skillet over low heat, shaking the pan frequently, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Return skillet to medium heat, add the oil, and heat for 1 minute. Add the chickpeas, raisins, beet greens, salt, and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally, until the leaves are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork and divide among individual plates. Top with the leaves and sprinkle with the pine nuts.
More beet recipes? Try these recommendations:
Golden Beets Salad
Beet and Escarole Salad
Raw Beet Salads
Return from Beet Leaves Salad to Healthy Beets Home